Senior Research Scientist
1000 E. University Ave. Dep. 4311
Laramie, WY 82071
Ph.D., Earth Sciences (Specialization in Computational Geoscience), The Ohio State University, 2018
Thesis: Fluid mixing in multiphase and hydrodynamically unstable porous-media flows (under Prof. J. Moortgat)
- Designed in-house FE codes for efficient simulation of challenging subsurface systems including multiphase
compositional flows coupled with multicomponent reactive transport in unstructured, fractured formations
- Achieved scaling laws for (convective) mixing & non-Fickian dispersion (of CO2) in (un)saturated media
- Designed & implemented thermodynamic phase behavior models for CO2-containing subsurface fluid mixtures
- Developed Machine Learning models to predict/learn rheology & thermodynamics of complex fluid mixtures
- Developed scalable high-performance MPI-OpenMP parallel codes & solvers for large-scale 3D flow simulation
- Built “Buckeye-Pi,” the most powerful student-built distributed-memory cluster, out of 128 Raspberry Pis
- Demonstrated a displacement mechanism: Thermodynamic control of viscous fingering in multiphase flows
- Developed accurate models of Cranfield CO2 sequestration pilot project for DOE/NETL
B.Sc., Petroleum Engineering, Sharif University of Technology, 2014
Thesis: Use of machine learning for predicting hydrocarbon fluid viscosity (under Prof. S. Ayatollahi)
University of Wyoming – Center of Innovation for Flow through Porous Media Laramie, WY, USA
- Senior Research Scientist – Piri Research Group 2020–present
Part of the core team of the computational branch leading the initiative towards developing a massively parallelized, GPU-accelerated major platform to simulate coupled processes in large-scale porous media based on fundamental pore-scale physics.
Massachusetts Institute of Technology – Department of Chemical Engineering Cambridge, MA, USA
- Postdoctoral Associate – Bazant Research Group: 2018–2020
- Developed a coupled multiphase flow and electrokinetic (EK) transport model for heterogeneous porous media
- New findings: EK control of instability & vortex generation for fluid mixing/extraction & flow monitoring
- Established phase-field models of hydraulic fracturing & crack growth to investigate “EK-assisted fracturing”
- Developed a novel multiphase flow model in continuum porous media from a microscopic theory of hysteresis
- Bischofberger Lab, MIT-MechE (collaboration): Developed new numerical models with Hele-Shaw experiments, which revealed transition from viscous fingering to dendritic growth in anisotropic environments
- Provide technical guidance and mentorship to junior researchers and code developers in the group
MAPSA Technology Center (MTC), MAPSA Co. Tehran, Iran
- Technical Programmer – Part of the development team for Mud-Pro software 2013–2014
- Designed interactive forms and gui connecting user with real-time drilling monitoring system and its database
- Developed & implemented unit tests for evaluating all MVC components designed in the project
Skills & Technical competencies:
- Language & Parallel Computing: Python, Fortran, MATLAB, OpenMP, MPI, QML, Perl, SQL, LATEX
- Data Analytics, ML/DL: Scikit-learn, Pandas, NumPy, Jupyter Notebook, SciPy, matplotlib, seaborn, TensorFlow, XGBoost ⇒ Regression, Classification, Clustering, Ensemble Techniques + DNN, CNN
- Numerical Methods/Solvers: FE/FV, Discontinuous Galerkin, Phase Field, Hypre, Pardiso
- Professional Software: COMSOL, PFLOTRAN, Eclipse, Mathematica, Fiji-ImageJ, Tecplot 360 EX
- Multiphase Flows & Mixing in Subsurface: Laboratory & Computational Studies
Amooie MA, Soltanian MR, & Moortgat J (2017). Hydro-thermodynamic mixing of fluids across phases in porous media. Geophysical Research Letters, 44 (8), 3624–3634.
Amooie MA, Soltanian MR, & Moortgat J (2018). Solutal convection in porous media: Comparison between boundary conditions of constant concentration and constant flux. Phys. Rev. E, 98 (3), 033118.
Amooie MA, Soltanian MR, Dai Z, & Moortgat J (2017). Mixing and spreading of multiphase fluids in heterogeneous bimodal porous media. Geomech. Geophys. Geo-energy. Geo-resour., 3 (3), 225–244.
Soltanian MR, Amooie MA, Gershenzon N, Dai Z, Ritzi R, Xiong F, Cole DR, & Moortgat J (2017). Dissolution trapping of carbon dioxide in heterogeneous aquifers. Environ. Sci. Technol., 51, 7732.
Soltanian MR, Amooie MA, Dai Z, Cole DR, & Moortgat J (2016). Critical dynamics of gravitoconvective mixing in geological carbon sequestration. Scientific Reports, 6, 35921.
Fahandezhsaadi M, Amooie MA, Hemmati A, Ayatollahi S, Schaffie M, & Ranjbar M (2019). Laboratory evaluation of nitrogen injection for EOR: Effects of pressure and induced fractures. Fuel, 253, 607.
Liu Y, Iglauer S, Cai J, Amooie MA, & Qin C (2019, invited review). Local instabilities during capillary dominated immiscible displacement in porous media. Capillarity, 2 (1), 1–7.
Mahmoodpour S, Rostami B, Soltanian MR, & Amooie MA(2019). Convective dissolution of CO2 in saline aquifers: Insights from engineering a high-pressure porous visual cell. Phys. Rev. Applied, 12 (3), 034016.
Mahmoodpour S, Amooie MA, Rostami B, & Bahrami F (2020). Effect of gas impurity on the convective dissolution of CO2 in porous media. Energy, 199. 117397.
Zhang Q, Amooie MA, Bazant MZ, & Bischofberger I (2020). Spontaneous growth morphology and symmetry selection of interfacial instabilities in anisotropic environments. Accepted to Physical Review Fluids. arXiv:2004.02371
- Computational Methods for Flow and Coupled Transport Processes in Porous Media
Amooie MA, & Moortgat J (2018). Higher-order black-oil and compositional modeling of multiphase compressible flow in porous media. International J. of Multiphase Flow, 105, 45–59.
Amooie MA, & Moortgat J (2017). Homemade Buckeye-Pi: A learning many-node platform for high-performance parallel computing. Report submitted to OSU-Office of Energy and Environment and presented in American Geophysical Union Fall Meeting, New Orleans, LA.
Moortgat J, Amooie MA, & Soltanian MR (2016). Implicit finite volume and DG methods for multi-component flow in unstructured 3D fractured porous media. Adv. Water Resour., 96, 389–404.
Soltanian MR, Dai D, Yang C, Amooie MA, & Moortgat J (2018). Multicomponent competitive monovalent cation exchange in hierarchical porous media with multimodal reactive mineral facies. Stochastic Environmental Research and Risk Assessment, 32 (1), 295–310.
Moortgat J, Amooie MA, & Zhu D (2020). A higher-order finite element reactive transport model for unstructured and fractured grids. Accepted in Scientific Reports.
- Fate and Reactive Transport of CO2 and Methane in Field-Scale Carbon Sequestration
Soltanian MR, Amooie MA, Cole DR, Graham D, Pfiffner SM, Phelps TJ, & Moortgat J (2018). Transport of perfluorocarbon tracers in the Cranfield geological carbon sequestration project. Greenhouse Gases: Science and Technology, 8 (4), 650–671.
Soltanian MR, Amooie MA, Cole DR, Darrah TH, Graham D, Pfiffner SM, Phelps TJ, & Moortgat J (2018). Impacts of methane on carbon dioxide storage in brine formations. Groundwater, 56 (2), 176–186.
Soltanian MR, Amooie MA, Cole DR, Hosseini SA, Hovorka S, Pfiffner SM, Phelps TJ, & Moortgat J (2016). Simulating the Cranfield geological carbon sequestration project with high-resolution static models and accurate equation of state. International J. of Greenhouse Gas Control, 54, 282–296.
Dai Z, Zhang Y, Belicki JM, Amooie MA, et al. (2018). Heterogeneity-assisted carbon storage in marine sediments. Applied Energy, 225, 876–883.
- Data Analytics and Machine Learning for Subsurface problems
Amooie MA, Hemmati A, Husein M, & Kunal K (2019). Data-driven modeling of interfacial tension in impure CO2-brine systems with implications for geological sequestration in saline aquifers. International J. of Greenhouse Gas Control, 90, 102811.
Ershadnia R, Amooie MA, Shams R, & Jamshidi S. Non-Newtonian fluid flow dynamics in rotating annular media: Physics-based and data-driven modeling. J. Petrol Sci Eng., 185, 106641.
Taghvaei H, Amooie MA, Taghvaei H, & Hemmati A (2016). A comprehensive study of phase equilibria in binary mixtures of carbon dioxide + alcohols: Application of a hybrid intelligent model (CSA-LSSVM). J. of Molecular Liquids, 224, 745–756.
Khamehchi E, Mahdiani MR, Amooie MA, & Hemmati A (2020). Modeling viscosity of light and intermediate dead oil systems using advanced computational frameworks and artificial neural networks. J. Petrol Sci Eng., 193, 107388.
Arabloo M, Amooie MA, Hemmati A, Ghazanfari MH, & Mohammadi AH (2014). Application of constrained multi-variable search methods for prediction of PVT properties of crude oil systems. Fluid Phase Equilibria, 363, 121–130.